I gave medication to an hiv positive patient via port IV, then I accidentally poked my finger after I gave my medication, can I be infected with HIV? tnx
Thanks for the great work and support.
In December, I had unprotected oral (cunnilingus and fellatio) with a CSW followed by protected vaginal sex. The condom appeared intact after the act.
42 hrs later, I was put on Truvada and Isentress and finished the 30 day course.
2 weeks after starting PEP, I experienced malaise, lethargy, gland swelling in the groin & armpits. These improved but I am still having groin ache and mouth ulcers at the moment (8 weeks post exposure).
2.5 weeks after completing PEP (6.5 weeks post exposure), I underwent a 4th Gen test at a clinic which came back negative.
My questions :
1. Would you have recommended PEP in the first place ?
2. Can ARS symptoms last so long (6 weeks) ?
3. How reliable is the negative 4th Gen test result at 2.5 weeks post-PEP ?
Last night I briefly gave oral sex to someone. In fact I think there penis was in my mouth no more than 10 to 15 seconds. Though I did get some pre cum on my face so I am sure it had also gotten into my mouth. He told me afterwards he was pretty sexually active and now I am worried about contracting something from him. Do I need to go on PEP for this incident or am I totally blowing this out of proportion.
A condom burst after ejaculation and having sex with my HIV positive girl friend. We first did tests and I'm negative. Is there a chance that I have it?
I had slept with a women of unknown status and before we started anything, she took out a small bit of Gel on her finger and rubbed it on her vagina and then she took out a condom and the same finger touch the inside top of the condom and she then put the condom inside my penis, am I on any risk of being exposed to the virus? Could that finger put me on any risk? Do I need to go on pep? Please help.
I had a possible exposure to HIV on 11 December 2015.
i went to the hospital on 11 December and started PEP on the 12th of December.
i had non-reactive HIV Gen 4 tests on the 24th of December (2weeks) and on the 22nd of January (6weeks)
the test on the 22nd of January was 13 days after i finished the PEP and 6 weeks after potential exposure. Can I assume that the test on the 22nd of January is conclusive?
Have any studies been done on the effectiveness of anti retrovirals in preventing Hiv Infection with regard to there effectiveness if they are stopped before the 28 days. How much if protection would they offer if someone could only complete say 5 days of therapy or 14 days of therapy before going off them ? I ask this question because a lot of people can't complete the entire 28 days due to the side effects. A doctor once provided me with a study done answering this question, but I can't seem to find the study anywhere now. Thanks
Sorry about my post being too long but I have somewhat specific situation and I have not found the info on the net that would calm me down even though I ve been reading about HIV in the past 5-6 weeks.I have been through probably the worst few weeks of my life so far (and Im not trying to be dramatic). I have several questions and this forum seems the best place to bring it up.
So I am dating a guy since August who claimed to be negative as his test in June was negative. I was still insisting that he did a recent test as I also did one myself. On 17 Dec he turned out to be HIV positive and admitted having a risky encounter back in May (which his June test did not pick up). He was also devastated by the news so I believed him and stayed with him as I really didnt/dont want this to be any reason for a break up. However, this situation is not easy especially that I am still not sure about my status.
We had more and more unprotected sex as time passed in our relationship since I started to become more confident with him. I was bottom 100% of the time and I would say we had maybe 10% unprotected, never with ejaculation though. Since it is a distance relationship the encounters were on a 2-3 week basis. The last risky unprotected encounter was on 13 Dec. I was tested negative on 18th Dec right after he told me the bad news (I was already too late for PEP). On 2 Jan we had an unfortunate condom accident after which I immediately started PEP and I am currently doing it. Basically we found something whitish on the outside of the condom.
I was tested negative again before the PEP started on 2nd Jan (3 weeks after last unprotected encounter) and on the 18th Jan (5 weeks after unprotected sex and 2 weeks into PEP). About a week before my last test I had very bad flu like symptoms (sore throat, headache, shivering, sweating, swollen glands) but it faded away as quickly as it came within 24 hours.
My test centre uses 4th generation testing. I am confused a bit about the effect PEP has on the results.
So my questions are:
1. If I was tested negative on my last test 5 weeks after the last unprotected encounter but 2 weeks into PEP can I take it more or less accurate or the 2 week PEP alters this? (I know about PEP altering the test but my case is again somewhat special as the 3 weeks could have been enough to produce enough antibodies, right? Or the PEP can also reduce the number of such antibodies over time?) The last unprotected encounter worries me much more than the condom accident. So if I can somehow be sure about that encounter I will feel much better.
2. Should the symptoms I had for only 24 hours worry me?
3. My HIV specialist foresees the next test on 11 Feb (5.5 weeks after starting PEP and almost 9 weeks after last unprotected sex). Is this a correct time? Can I sleep better after this test in case it is neg?
4. I really dont want this to be a reason for break up as I love my BF and I want to be there to help him through these very bad times he is going through (he started the ART 10 days ago, and he is going through depression - me being the only one he can rely on). But I cannot live my life continuously taking PEP. Is there anyone here who is in a mix-status relationship? It would be great to hear some good practices we should get used to in order to live happy in such a relationship. (of course he sticks to his medication regimen, fortunately so far no side effects and he is also very worried about my status, and he loves me too :) ).
That's the story. Thanks a lot for reading and for all the info you may have.
My condom burst during an intercourse with a CSW, and my penis was expose for about 3-5 seconds. It was on the 3rd of November, 2015. I took a pep course for 28 days. i got tested on the 12th of January, 2016 , and the result was negative. I have sore throat with un-digestion of food (diarrhea). Is this a ARS of HIV? Is there any chance that I might be infected? Given the worst case scenario as the csw was infected?
I am now extremely nervous since the condom broke(my glans have facial contact with the virgina but less than 60 seconds) while having sex with a prostitute. Right after finding out the condom was broke, I change with a new one. The prostitute, afterwards, calms she regularly checks for STD/HIV and the result is negative, but it could be a lie. How is the chance of getting any sex related diseases. I am now feeling extremely regretful..