A condom burst after ejaculation and having sex with my HIV positive girl friend. We first did tests and I'm negative. Is there a chance that I have it?
I had slept with a women of unknown status and before we started anything, she took out a small bit of Gel on her finger and rubbed it on her vagina and then she took out a condom and the same finger touch the inside top of the condom and she then put the condom inside my penis, am I on any risk of being exposed to the virus? Could that finger put me on any risk? Do I need to go on pep? Please help.
I had a possible exposure to HIV on 11 December 2015.
i went to the hospital on 11 December and started PEP on the 12th of December.
i had non-reactive HIV Gen 4 tests on the 24th of December (2weeks) and on the 22nd of January (6weeks)
the test on the 22nd of January was 13 days after i finished the PEP and 6 weeks after potential exposure. Can I assume that the test on the 22nd of January is conclusive?
Have any studies been done on the effectiveness of anti retrovirals in preventing Hiv Infection with regard to there effectiveness if they are stopped before the 28 days. How much if protection would they offer if someone could only complete say 5 days of therapy or 14 days of therapy before going off them ? I ask this question because a lot of people can't complete the entire 28 days due to the side effects. A doctor once provided me with a study done answering this question, but I can't seem to find the study anywhere now. Thanks
Sorry about my post being too long but I have somewhat specific situation and I have not found the info on the net that would calm me down even though I ve been reading about HIV in the past 5-6 weeks.I have been through probably the worst few weeks of my life so far (and Im not trying to be dramatic). I have several questions and this forum seems the best place to bring it up.
So I am dating a guy since August who claimed to be negative as his test in June was negative. I was still insisting that he did a recent test as I also did one myself. On 17 Dec he turned out to be HIV positive and admitted having a risky encounter back in May (which his June test did not pick up). He was also devastated by the news so I believed him and stayed with him as I really didnt/dont want this to be any reason for a break up. However, this situation is not easy especially that I am still not sure about my status.
We had more and more unprotected sex as time passed in our relationship since I started to become more confident with him. I was bottom 100% of the time and I would say we had maybe 10% unprotected, never with ejaculation though. Since it is a distance relationship the encounters were on a 2-3 week basis. The last risky unprotected encounter was on 13 Dec. I was tested negative on 18th Dec right after he told me the bad news (I was already too late for PEP). On 2 Jan we had an unfortunate condom accident after which I immediately started PEP and I am currently doing it. Basically we found something whitish on the outside of the condom.
I was tested negative again before the PEP started on 2nd Jan (3 weeks after last unprotected encounter) and on the 18th Jan (5 weeks after unprotected sex and 2 weeks into PEP). About a week before my last test I had very bad flu like symptoms (sore throat, headache, shivering, sweating, swollen glands) but it faded away as quickly as it came within 24 hours.
My test centre uses 4th generation testing. I am confused a bit about the effect PEP has on the results.
So my questions are:
1. If I was tested negative on my last test 5 weeks after the last unprotected encounter but 2 weeks into PEP can I take it more or less accurate or the 2 week PEP alters this? (I know about PEP altering the test but my case is again somewhat special as the 3 weeks could have been enough to produce enough antibodies, right? Or the PEP can also reduce the number of such antibodies over time?) The last unprotected encounter worries me much more than the condom accident. So if I can somehow be sure about that encounter I will feel much better.
2. Should the symptoms I had for only 24 hours worry me?
3. My HIV specialist foresees the next test on 11 Feb (5.5 weeks after starting PEP and almost 9 weeks after last unprotected sex). Is this a correct time? Can I sleep better after this test in case it is neg?
4. I really dont want this to be a reason for break up as I love my BF and I want to be there to help him through these very bad times he is going through (he started the ART 10 days ago, and he is going through depression - me being the only one he can rely on). But I cannot live my life continuously taking PEP. Is there anyone here who is in a mix-status relationship? It would be great to hear some good practices we should get used to in order to live happy in such a relationship. (of course he sticks to his medication regimen, fortunately so far no side effects and he is also very worried about my status, and he loves me too :) ).
That's the story. Thanks a lot for reading and for all the info you may have.
My condom burst during an intercourse with a CSW, and my penis was expose for about 3-5 seconds. It was on the 3rd of November, 2015. I took a pep course for 28 days. i got tested on the 12th of January, 2016 , and the result was negative. I have sore throat with un-digestion of food (diarrhea). Is this a ARS of HIV? Is there any chance that I might be infected? Given the worst case scenario as the csw was infected?
I am now extremely nervous since the condom broke(my glans have facial contact with the virgina but less than 60 seconds) while having sex with a prostitute. Right after finding out the condom was broke, I change with a new one. The prostitute, afterwards, calms she regularly checks for STD/HIV and the result is negative, but it could be a lie. How is the chance of getting any sex related diseases. I am now feeling extremely regretful..
First of all, I want apologize for my bad English.
I had a sexual risk exposure. Within 4-8 hours later, I started taking ATRIPLA for PEP. A week later, I had another sexual risk exposure, but lower, so I took PEP for one more week aprox (I was taking ATRIPLA for 5 weeks, not 4). I couldn’t return to the clinic but I was very anxious, so I gave blood 45-47 days after finishing PEP for get an 4th generation test, and I gave blood 4-5 months after finishing PEP (I know it was wrong, irresponsible and dangerous, but I was so scared and no one supported me). It was negative. I re-test 1 year after PEP, it was negative too. I continue nervous, because I’m afraid 5 weeks of ATRIPLA and loss of a significant amount of blood can produce a false negative, even a year after PEP.
1. Can I consider conclusive the 4th test made 45 days after PEP?
2. It’s possible that a single or any infected cells remains in my body but in state of proviral latency (resting cells)?
3. It’s possible that these restings cells produce some infective virions, but they (virions or productively infected cells) can be lost with the blood I donated?
4. Can I be negative 1 year after PEP and become positive in a future for this incident?
Please, answer me because I’m really ansioux and depressed by this since more of a year. Thank you so much.
Firstly I would just like to thank you for providing this incredibly helpful and educational service. You all have done a lot of good for people in situations similar to myself. So thanks!
I am a female who had protected vaginal sex and unprotected oral sex (no ejaculation) with a straight male from my university. He tested negative with an INSTI test a week after the incident and claimed his last sexual exposure was over 2 months ago, but still I was nervous. I don't normally have casual sex, so I become anxious and finally decided to get on PEP 64 hours post-exposure. I finished a 29-day regimen and after 4.5 weeks, I took an RNA Aptima TMA QL as well as a 4th generation HIV test. Both were NEGATIVE. Is it time to move on? I saw an infectious disease doctor who didn't seem concerned at all with my incident, but I have just had SO much anxiety over this whole thing that I just don't know how to let this go or forget about it. Is there any reason at all why my tests would not be conclusive, especially the RNA test? Is it likely that I could have gotten HIV from this incident? The anxiety has just become too much to handle. I've had to see a therapist and a psychiatrist over this and it's affecting my life entirely. I just want this all to be over.
Thanks so much.
I recently engaged in a threesome with two guys (I am a guy). One of them (the top) switched between penetrating me and the other guy multiple times, and while there were condom switchings, I was sure it was not consistent with the partner switchings. I have heard that HIV dies instantly upon exposure to oxygen, so I want to know whether this is indeed true, the risk level for this activity, and whether I should consider PEP. I have may be 50 hours left for PEP so any prompt response is highly appreciated.