« Go Back

CD4 Testing


What is the recommended place in Vancouver where i can have my cd4 count done? I am just visiting this city thru a cruiseship and i needed my CD4 to start my medication. Please help



Thank you for contacting the AIDS Vancouver Helpline as your source for HIV/AIDS related information. I know that HIV medications are a time sensitive matter and I am sorry it took awhile for us to return your message. If you are still currently in Vancouver, this information may be helpful for you.

CD4 counts are only performed on people who have been officially diagnosed with HIV and is used to determine the progression of the virus in the body. For example, a CD4 count less than 400, along with 2 or more co-infections in a person, indicates the progression of HIV to AIDS. The CD4 count is also used to to gauge if the antiretroviral medications being taken by a person living with HIV is effective. Last, a rise in CD4 levels and a decrease in viral load levels may help to indicate that someone has reached undetectable HIV levels.

Since you are a visitor, this blood test can be done by going to any local Emergency Room (ER) or walk-in clinic to get the requisition you need to get the blood taken and processed for CD4 levels. If you go to the ER, they will take the blood for you and you must wait for the results there. If you go to a walk-in clinic,once you have the requisition, you need to go to a laboratory where they will take your blood and analyze the results. You then must go back to the doctor who sent you for the test in order to get your results. Once you have your results, if needed, the doctor will prescribe antiretroviral medications as needed.

I hope this has helped you answer your questions. If you need any more info, please feel free to contact us or refer to the links provided.

Best wishes,


AIDS Vancouver Online Helpline
Private & Confidential