« Go Back

Stressed about HIV transmission Please help


I had sexual intercourse with sex worker which I think might be HIV positive, We had vaginal intercourse with condom but my concern is that I had made cut on the base of the penis just one and half hour before the sex which bled for half a minute and then stopped bleeding.During the vaginal intercourse this cut was not covered by the condom and was exposed to the vaginal fluid.
What is the risk of transmission through this non bleeding cut???
Symptoms that I am experiencing are:
On the second day of the sex I had a high fever along with slight headache and chronic fatigue which lasted for one and half week. On the beginning of the second week I am suffering from white tongue and slight sore throat along with mouth ulcers but no other symptoms except tiredness.I am feeling thirsty more than usual and moreover I wake up at night to drink water due to thirst.I am feeling really stressed and anxious.
Do my symptom are related to HIV.


Hi there,

Thank you for your inquiry. From what we gather from the question, you were asking about your risk of HIV acquisition in the act of protected vaginal intercourse, and full exposure from a cut on your penis to vaginal fluid during intercourse.

Vaginal sex with a condom is considered to be an act of Low Risk: (Evidence of transmission occurs through these activities when certain conditions are met), due to potential misuse or breakage of the condom.

However, from the information given, this scenario is determined to be High Risk: (Evidence of transmission through these activities and is the majority of cases of transmission). While you were wearing a condom, you still indicated that the cut on your penis 'was not covered by the condom'. Due to the lack of protection during this time; the cut penis came into contact with vaginal fluid, which we determine to be a high risk encounter.

Although you have had a high risk encounter, it can be difficult to attribute any/all symptoms you felt days after your exposure to HIV seroconversion.

Recommendation: Please refer to a physician for HIV testing.

All the best,

AIDS Vancouver Helpline/Online, Cody